The UA women's basketball team will host its second annual 5K walk/run at 8 a.m. on Oct.
Four Student-Athletes Win Postgraduate Scholarships
UA recipients are Trace Biskin of football, Rebecca Cardenas of gymnastics and divers Andres Guerra and Ainsley Oliver.
Pac-12 Conference Commissioner Larry Scott has announced the 48 outstanding Pac-12 student-athletes who have been named recipients of Pac-12 Postgraduate Scholarships for the 2011-12 academic year.
University of Arizona winners are Trace Biskin (Westlake Village, Calif.) of football, Rebecca Cardenas (Honolulu) of gymnastics, and divers Andres Guerra (Sugarland, Texas) and Ainsley Oliver (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan).
These $3,000 awards go to student-athletes with a minimum 3.0 grade point average who have also demonstrated a commitment to continuing education, campus and community involvement and leadership. Since the program began in 1999, the Pac-12 has awarded more than $1.5 million for postgraduate study.
To be selected for a Pac-12 Postgraduate Scholarship, a student-athlete must:
- Have an overall undergraduate minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent.
- Be in his/her final season of intercollegiate athletics eligibility in all sports or be in his/her final year of undergraduate studies, having exhausted athletics eligibility in all sports. The student-athlete will be evaluated on the basis of all academic work completed at time of selection.
- Have performed with distinction as a member of a varsity team. The degree of the student-athlete's athletic achievement will be weighed at least equally with the degree of academic performance.
- Intend to continue academic work beyond the baccalaureate degree as a full-time student in a graduate or professional program at an accredited institution, or in a postgraduate program for which an undergraduate degree is required for admission.
- Have behaved, both on and off the field, in a manner that has brought credit to the student-athlete, the institution and intercollegiate athletics.
In 1999, the Pac-12 Conference created a postgraduate scholarship program to honor outstanding student-athletes from its member institutions who also are outstanding scholars. Each Pac-12 institution selects four student-athlete recipients, two men and two women, through its institutional selection process.