Twenty-one athletes with Arizona ties will participate in the 2012 Olympic Games in London, England, with competition beginning July 27 and continuing through Aug. 16.
Of the athletes, 11 are swimmers, and six are track athletes and former Wildcat Andre Iguodala will play on the U.S. men's basketball team. Ana-Maria Montoya of women's soccer has dual citizenship and will compete for the Colombian National Team. UA graduate Todd Wells returns for a second Olympics as a mountain bike rider.
Matt Grevers, Alyssa Anderson, Clark Burckle and Nick Thoman will represent the U.S. on the swimming side. In addition, Jean Basson, Roland Schoeman and Darian Townsend will swim for South Africa, Simon Burnett will represent Great Britain, Nicolas (Nilo) Oliveira will represent Brazil, Nimrod Shapira-Bar-Or will represent Israel and Albert Subirats will swim for Venezuela.
For Burnett and Townsend, the 2012 Olympics mark their third appearance in the Olympic Games, as they both competed in 2004 and 2008. Grevers and Basson will see their second appearance after competing in 2002 and the remaining swimmers will be making debuts.
Former Arizona coach Frank Busch will also be present as the USA Swimming National Team Director.
Junior Brigetta Barrett is the sixth Wildcat to compete in the women's high jump at the Olympic Games. Barrett took second place in the high jump at the U.S. Olympic Trials with a personal-best clearance of 6-7 (2.01m), the top mark ever by a collegian.
Junior Georganne Moline earned a spot on Team USA after taking second place in the 400-meter hurdles. She clocked a personal-best time of 54.33 and broke her own school record for the fourth time this season. Moline is only the second Wildcat to ever compete in the 400-meter hurdles at the Olympic Games.
Junior Julie Labonté took first place in the shot put at the Canadian Trials to earn a trip to London. She had a mark of 57-5.5 (17.51m). Labonté is the first Wildcat from the track and field team to ever represent Canada in the Olympic Games. Furthermore, Labonté is the second Wildcat to ever compete in the women's shot put in the Olympics.
Volunteer assistant coach Bernard Lagat will represent Team USA in the 5,000-meter race, his fourth trip to the Olympics. He took second place in the 5,000-meter final with a time of 13:22.82. Volunteer assistant coach Jill Camarena-Williams punched her ticket to London, earning a first-place finish in the women's shot put. Her mark of 62-10.5 (19.16m) was good for a second-straight trip to the Olympic Games. Abdi Abdirahman, a former Wildcat, earned his fourth trip to the Olympic Games this year where he will compete in the marathon.
2012 OLYMPIANS WITH ARIZONA TIES
(Student-athlete or coach - years at the UA - hometown)
- Andre Iguodala (USA) - 2003, 2004 - Springfield, Ill.
- Ana-Maria Montoya (Colombia) - 2010-11 - Beaverton, Ore.
- Todd Wells (USA) - Mountain Bike - Durango, Colo.
Track and Field
- Brigetta Barrett (USA) - high jump - 2013 senior - Wappinger Falls, N.Y.
- Julie Labonte' (Canada) - shot put - 2013 senior - Saint Justine, Quebec
- Georganne Moline (USA) - 400M Hurdles - 2013 senior - Phoenix, Ariz.
- Abdi Abdirahman (USA) - marathon - 1998, 1999 - Mogadishu, Somalia
- Bernard Legat (USA) - 5,000 meters - 2012 - Kapsabet, Kenya - Washington State
- Jill Camarena-Williams (USA) - shot put - 2012 - Woodland, Calif. - Stanford
Swimming and Diving
- Alyssa Anderson (USA) - 4x200 free relay - 2009-12 - Granite Bay, Calif.
- Jean Basson (South Africa) - 4x200 free relay - 2007-10 - Johannesburg, South Africa
- Clark Burckle (USA) - 200 breaststroke - 2010 - Louisville, Ky.
- Simon Burnett (Great Britain) - 4x100 free relay - 2003-06 - Tetsworth, UK
- Nicolas (Nilo) Oliveira (Brazil) - 100 free, 4x100 free relay - 2006-09 - Bello Horizante, Brazil
- Roland Schoeman (South Africa) - 50 free - 1999-02 - Pretoria, South Africa
- Nimrod Shapira-Bar-Or (Israel) - 100 free, 200 free, 100 fly - 2009-11 - Jerusalem, Israel
- Albert Subirats (Venezuela) - 100 fly - 2005-08 - Valencia, Venezuela
- Nick Thoman (USA) - 100 back - 2005-07 - Cincinnati, Ohio
- Darian Townsend (South Africa) - 200 free, 200 IM, relays - 2007-08 - Pietermartizburg, South Africa
- Frank Busch - USA Swimming National Team Director - 1990-2011
Allied training participants:
- Matt Grevers (USA) - 100 back, 4-x100 free relay - Tucson Ford Dealers Aquatics Northwestern (Hillenbrand Aquatic Center)