Sun Link Streetcar Grand Opening Celebration
The Sun Link Tucson streetcar's 3.9-mile route will connect the main UA campus with the Arizona Health Sciences Center, Main Gate Square, Fourth Avenue, downtown Tucson and the Mercado District west of I-10. Click here for a complete map of the streetcar route (PDF).
A grand opening celebration for the all-electric streetcar will be held on July 25. Ribbon-cutting ceremonies will be held at each of the Sun Link streetcar's stops. A UA celebration will be held at 7:40 a.m. at the streetcar stop near Helen Street and Warren Avenue and will include remarks from UA President Ann Weaver Hart. The ribbon cutting ceremonies will culminate with a grand opening celebration at the streetcar's final stop along Congress Street and Fifth Avenue at approximately 9 a.m.
During the grand opening celebration, each district will have festivities connected to a different theme. When the streetcar stops at the UA, riders will be greeted with the theme of "Arts and Culture in the City." Some of the events happening during the kick-off celebration include:
- Informational tents and tables will be set up on the UA campus along Second Street and Warren Avenue, as well as near Second Street and Olive Road near Main Gate Square.
- The Arizona Health Sciences Center will host its weekly farmer's market from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the plaza in front of the UA College of Medicine.
- University Libraries and UApresents will host raffles. Tickets will be available at the tables located along Second Street at Warren Avenue for UApresents and Olive Road for University Libraries.
- Sun-viewing telescopes will be set up on the lawn of the Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tables and booths will be set up outside the UA College of Science and inside Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium.
- Steward Observatory Mirror Lab is offering a discounted rate of $5 per person on lab tours at 11 a.m. or 1 p.m. Limited space is available. Tickets can be purchased here.
- The UA College of Nursing and the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health will host a free hatha yoga class from 5-6 p.m. in Room 117 of the UA College of Nursing, located at 1305 N. Martin Ave., near the north end of the streetcar route.
- The UA Museum of Art will offer free admission during its regular hours, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- The UA's Faculty/Staff Choir will give a "Trolley Song" performance at noon at Olive Road and Second Street.
- The Arizona State Museum will be open regular hours, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- The UA Pharmacy Museum, located in the UA College of Pharmacy will be open regular hours, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- The UA Poetry Center, open 9 a.m.-5 p.m., will be offering public tours.
- The Center for Creative Photography will be open regular hours, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- The UA Visitor Center will be open regular hours, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- The Jim Click Hall of Champions will be open all weekend with extended hours. Come visit Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- A film will be projected on the wall of the Richard A. Harvill Building from 8 p.m. to midnight. It depicts transportation in Tucson throughout the city's history, leading to the arrival of the streetcar.
For more information about the Sun Link streetcar's grand opening celebration, click here.