Hands-On Cultural Activities at Arizona State Museum
Bring the family to Arizona State Museum on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays in July and enjoy hands-on cultural activities for ages 5 and up from 10 a.m. to noon or 1:30-4 p.m.! (Excludes July 4.)
These hands-on activities draw on the traditions of the Southwestern cultures highlighted in the museum's exhibits and collections. Different activities each day will include:
- (Native Basketry) Weave a small bowl.
- (Native Pottery) Make a paper pot; do a puzzle pot; play a pottery game.
- (Native Foods/Healthy Eating) Enjoy healthy Native food activities including a harvest game and corn grinding with mano y metate; make a healthy foods bracelet.
- (Cultural Objects) Read a haiku poem and find the artifact it refers to; write your own haiku about your favorite artifact.
- (Navajo) Weave a miniature rug; "card" wool.
- (Yaqui) Make tissue paper flowers;play lotería (Mexican bingo).
- (Mexican) Make a mask; play lotería.